Monday, October 4, 2010

Where Has the Time Gone? And Why Haven't I Been Posting?!

My oh My! Where has the time gone? Have 16 weeks really already gone by? This time next week will I really be packing up my from my first day back at work (and beaming the BIGGEST smile EVER as I make the quick drive from Santa Monica back to my baby in Playa Vista!)? Wow. Unbelievable.

Yup, you've guessed it, my maternity leave is coming to an end. A big part of me is absolutely devastated. I'm not ready. Logan's not ready...how is it here so fast? I always knew I wouldn't be ready, whenever i would tell people I got to take a whopping 16 weeks off from work I always followed that up with "It seems like a long time now, but I guarantee you, come October 10th as i go to bed before setting my alarm for the first time I'll say "Wait, I feel like I've only had a day with him!" and sure enough, that's exactly how I feel. Someone told me that women in Sweden get a full YEAR off for maternity leave- a full year! Can you imagine? Wow...how great that would be. On the downside, I guess women's rights are pretty archaic compared to the rights we have here in America....there's a give and take with everything I guess. It seems to me that Mom's should stay home until the baby is done breastfeeding- but how would that be monitored? Some women DON'T breastfeed, some women do it for a few months, others for 1 year and still others for beyond one year (not sure how i feel about that...) but still...wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about pumping, and storing...you could just nurse as the baby needs and be done with it? Or better yet, what if everyone was allowed to bring their baby to work with them....now THAT would be amazing....but I'm all too aware that those are dreams that will not be coming true for me...but I don't want to seem ungrateful...I am extremely grateful for the great company I work for and what they were willing to do for me to make a schedule work for me and my family...

My new schedule will be much different than what I've been used to the past 5 years I've been out of college...I will now be working 4 days a week (Monday through Thursday), and 8 hours a day (Granted, that's what EVERYONE is supposed to work, but those of us in the construction world all know that its rare to only work 8 hours in this line of work, but Morley has clearly stated that my shift will be 8 hours a day so I'm going with it!). I've been put on a team that is building a hotel in Santa Monica, right along the water pretty much. I've always wanted to work on a hotel, and after speaking with my team today, it sounds like I may be handling a lot of the finish trades- which is what I most love about construction- nice finishes. I'll also be handling the LEED documents (LEED = Green Building) which is great- because it's something that I can take care of throughout the next few months- it isn't a crunch issue that needs to be completed tomorrow...it's also a great thing because it could be a nitch for me to use on my next project!

So while I know Monday will be hard, what's going to make it easier is knowing that I work for a great company that is willing to work with me to make this transition back into the working world a bit easier :)

Sorry for the somewhat boring post....here's a list of other things I intend to post on before i Head back to work!!!

- Logan's first flight

- Our fun trip to Seattle for Lindsey's shower and to meet the fam!

- Logan @ 3 Months (Photo shoot!)

- Logan learning to use his hands and utilize one of his toys!

- Jason's triathlon at Lake Lopez (And tales of "camping" with a newborn)

- The birth of Brock Alan Brown (BFF in training for Logan!)

Taa Taa for now!!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment